Does The Music Move You?

In the last week, two things got me thinking. First, I read an article about the FINA swimming world championships in Australia. It described Michael Phelps preparing for his 200-meter freestyle race:



Michael Phelps stood on the deck with 50 Cent blaring in one ear, a steely determination in both eyes. When his name was announced to the crowd at Rod Laver Arena, the young American did nothing more than stare down the strip of water at his feet.

Second, a friend of mine who goes by the moniker Kahuna writes a very entertaining blog for triathletes and posted an entry about his adventures going on a two hour bike ride in Palm Springs, California without his beloved iPod (the moral of his story being: iPod + Desert Heat = Silence).

Now I’ve had periods where I’ve trained listening to music and I’ve had periods where I’ve just listened to my thoughts or my breathing – whichever was loudest. But I began to wonder whether there was any scientific basis for using music to enhance performance.

And indeed there is.

A study by Elliott, Carr, and Savage in the June 2004 Journal of Sport Behavior examined the effects of motivational music on work output in cycling. The researchers had participants in their study cycle on a trainer for 12 minutes. They were asked to ride three times keeping their perceived exertion the same for each trial. In two of the trials, participants heard music. The “distance” traveled on the trainer was measured for each trial. As you may have guessed, those participants who listened to music “traveled” significantly farther -- up to 7/10th of a kilometer -- than those who didn’t.

Stuart Simpson and Costas Karageorghis researched the effects of music on runners performing a series of 400 meter sprint trials. Those sprinters who ran listening to music turned in faster times than those who didn’t. The researchers concluded that even in anaerobic tasks, music can have a strong impact on performance.

These results and those of previous studies also seem to support the idea that music can increase aerobic endurance, increase isometric muscle endurance, reduce perceptions of effort, and induce flow-states before and during an athletic task. Simpson and Karageorghis even go so far as to maintain that, “music is a genuine ergogenic aid.”

Quick get me my headphones!

But if music is good, is all music equally good? Will listening to Beyonce help me as much as cranking up the Bach? Should I choose Modest Mouse or Mozart? Does what I listen to really matter?

Not really, so long as it has a good beat.

Researchers maintain that rhythm is the most important element of choosing music for sport- and exercise-related tasks – more so than familiarity and any associations you might have to a song (e.g., senior prom theme, first song you _______ed to, any song from any Grateful Dead concert you attended).

It seems that humans have a predisposition to respond to the rhythmical elements of music, particularly music that also has a fast tempo (greater than 120 bpm). Give us a beat and will march (or run or cycle or dance) right along to it. The faster the beat, the faster we’ll go.

Sounds good, no? But let me throw out one word of caution drawn from my experience working with athletes. While I’ve got no research to back this up, I’ve noticed one potentially serious downside to training with music (other than not being able to hear approaching traffic!). Music can easily distract us from listening to our own natural breathing patterns. If we are not used to hearing how we breathe – especially when we are exerting ourselves at our max – we are liable to be surprised by and even anxious about how “bad” we can sound. So, if you do listen do music, make sure you do some of your speed-work sans-headphones so that you can get used to the noise of your own huffing and puffing.

In the meantime, get out the iPod, find a remix of your favorite song (remember 120 bpm or more) and get your groove on!

Enough from me. Your turn.

Do you train with music? Does it help? What’s on your current playlist? Any favorite songs to recommend to the Sportsminded blog readers?













References


Simpson, S. & Karageorghi, C. (2006). “The Effects of Synchronous Music on 400-m Sprint Performance.” Journal of Sports Sciences, 24, 1095-1102.

Elliot, D., Carr, S., & Savage, D. (2004). “Effects of Motivational Music on Work Output and Affective Responses During Sub-maximal Cycling of a Standardized Perceived Intensity.” Journal of Sport Behavior, 27, 134-147.

9 comments:

  1. Dr. Iron TriFeist :) says

    Absolutely I listen to music when I workout. It helps on two levels. First, it prevents boredom during long, solo workouts. Second, it helps me push the pace. My increase in running pace this winter came when I listened to my fast-paced bike trainer mix while running. I got so caught up in the music that I forgot about how fast I was running. Boy was I surprised when I looked at my watch splits. And I was able to duplicate that pace during races where I ran without my ipod. Score!


    Bill says

    Depends.

    I can never put the headphones on while I'm running or riding outside. Doesn't matter if I'm on a track or not. I have to hear what's going on around me (especially behind). And it's been that way for me since Walkman's first came out.

    Put me on a trainer or treadmill and I better have headphones. Otherwise, the half-hearted effort won't be worth it.


    Anonymous says

    Usually I listen to podcasts or just the great outdoors when I'm working out. Last week I did an experiment and listened to music. My time for a 3 mile run improved by 4.5 minutes, but my heart rate raised 20 bpm.


    SixTwoThree says

    True confessions: I listen to "Love that Dirty Water" by the Standells before I play golf. I've been avoiding listening to the iPod while running and biking. Hmmm, maybe I should re-think it. Though I hate seeing headphone people at races. That's a big ol' pet peeve.


    Benson says

    I never use music during training or racing, too distracting. I like to hear everything going on around me. Breathing, foot strikes, bike sounds, wind, birds, water, dogs etc. The research results you mentioned are from sprints or seemingly short time periods of effort. what about long distance or extended times like 112 miles on a bike? I heard somewhere about a guy who did some ultra long inline skate and after a few days, he ditched the ear buds beacause the music became annoying and distracting.


    Larissa says

    I love music when I run (except for intervals when I need to hear my watch beep) - but not when I bike, it seems too dangerous.

    Favorites:
    Violent Femmes
    Nelle
    The Cult (Fire Woman, Sanctuary, Sweet Soul Sister)
    Prince


    Comm's says

    music is more a pre workout ritual than during workout. Though i admit to wearing my iPod on long runs. Short runs too if I feel like it.


    Unknown says

    I'm with Comms. Pre-workout only to help with getting in the right frame of mind. I don't use it during the actual exercise. I find taking a break from technology very relaxing. An Ipod seems to take away from the enjoyment of running or cycling solo through the bush.


    Julia says

    Love listening to music on the bike, and if I'm running easy I also listen to music. When instead I have to run hard or do intervals music distracts me in a bad way and I prefer just to listen to my body.