Zzzzzzzzz.....Sleep and Athletic Performance


One of my favorite moments from the Athens' Olympics was when Michael Phelps won his first gold medal. His winning was no surprise as this was one of his "easier' races. As soon as the race was over, while Phelps was still wet, a sportscaster stuck a microphone in his face and asked him how it felt to have won a gold medal. He replied by saying like, "at least I'll sleep tonight."
I'm sure many of you, like Phelps, have had a sleepless night (week? month?) prior to competition. So how does sleeplessness affect athletic performance and is there anything that can be done about it short of sleeping pills?
A recently published article by Thomas Reilly and Ben Edwards at the Research Institute for Sport and Exercise Sciences reviewed research on altered sleep-wake cycles and physical performance in athletes. Here are some of their findings.
  • In a study focusing in swimming performance on restricted nightly sleep. Swimmers were tested under normal conditions and under partial sleep deprivation on 4 consecutive days. While there were no decrements observed with sleep deprivation in swim times, sleep loss affected mood states, increasing depression, tension, confusion, fatigue and anger.

  • While athletes may overcome the adverse effects of sleep loss in a single all-out effort, they may be unable to maintain a high level of performance in sustained or repeated exercise. In a study of weightlifting, researchers found that lifts that involved an athlete lifting less-than-his or her maximum weight are more effected by sleep loss than maxed-out efforts, particularly for the first day or two of successive bad nights' sleep.

  • Athletes who train strenuously and do not allow recovery to occur display under-performance that is similar to what is observed after sleep deprivation. Researchers suggest that there is a link between the recuperative process of sleep and the proper fuctioning of the immune system. Reilly and Edwards write that, "persistent inadequate sleep, or successive nights of shortened or disrupted sleep, causes vulnerability to common colds and upper respiratory tract infections, a suggestion that supports the immunosuppressive effects of sleep loss."

So it looks like the relationship between a bad night's sleep and a bad day's athletic performance is clear. Does that mean that if an athlete can't fall asleep he or she should get out the Halcion?

Not necessarily. While sleeping pills have been used by athletes who frequently travel across time-zones, they have been shown to be ineffective in accelerating adjustment of the body-clock (restoration of the body's natural circadian rhythms). Additionally, they can be counter-productive if administered at the wrong time.

Turns out your pre-school teacher was right all along. Naps. Researchers have found that short naps can produce beneficial benefits for overcoming sleep debt. Those who habitually nap have been shown to derive greater subjective benefit from napping. Restorative naps can be very helpful to athletes training twice a day.

Reilly and Edwards conclude their article by stating, "the behavioral and biological effects of sleep loss are fairly well defined and cannot be ignored by athletic practitioners." They gone on to write that while the consequences of sleep loss for human error leading to industrial and aviation accidents are recognized the impact of such errors in sports activities have largely been overlooked.

If you're not a "power napper" give it a try. One of the best times to nap is mid-afternoon when your body naturally lags (especially if you've had a high carb lunch). While there is some difference of opinion, most experts agree that 20 minutes is an ideal length of time. My experience is that you do not have to "feel" like your slept the entire time. The break from your daily stressful activities can, itself, be restorative. And while napping come naturally to you when you were a kid, you may have to teach yourself to nap as an adult. So give it some time.

Now a plea. I want to make this blog a richer experience for all involved. We're a bit short in the comments section of Sportsminded so please let me hear from you. What's been your experience with sleep deprivation and your athletic performance? What do you do to get to sleep before a race or match?

Also, check out our new "Sportsminded Survey " in the column to the right of this post. The current question: "Do you take naps on a regular basis?" Please be sure to respond.

Reference: Reilly, T. & Edwards, B. (2007). Altered sleep-wake cycles and physical performance in athletes. Psychology & Behavior, 90, 274-284.

5 comments:

  1. Dr. Iron TriFeist :) says

    Intersting. I had always heard that the sleep the night before the race was not as important as the sleep you got the week before. It's rare for me to sleep well the night before a race because I'm afraid of missing the 3AM alarm clock. So, even if it hurts my performance, there's nothing I can do about it.


    Larissa says

    I nap regularly on the weekends - though its normally impossible during the week.

    I've found that if I schedule at least two days a week to "sleep in" (i.e. past 4:30 or 5:00 a.m.), my training and my outlook are much better throughout the week. If I try to just hammer through early morning after early morning in order to reach an arbitrary number in my training log, I - and everyone around me - suffer.


    Unknown says

    I'm a big fan of the nap.

    Combining shift work and training often plays a bit of havoc with my sleep patterns. Including a short nap every couple of days feels like it makes a big difference. Especially during night shifts.

    I find can maintain a good intensity and volume in training while in a large amount of sleep debt, but as mention, looks like immune function and irritability issues show up.

    I've taken to not using an alarm on days off. I just let me body decide when its time to wake up. Seems to be working well.


    Julia says

    I do regular naps. I limit them to 40 minutes. Through relaxation hypnotic technique I can fall asleep pretty fast and wake up really refreshed.
    I'll usually wake up on my own but I do set an alarm just in case.


    Anonymous says

    I usually try to get sleep during hard training weeks, however; the night before a race I typically don't get more than six hours due to nerves. The night before doesn't seem to affect me though if I don't get enough sleep throughout the weeks it definietely catches up and I'll lag during the day, I can see it especially when with my teammates.