Quote of the Week: Marathon Madness

This is marathon season. With the Chicago Marathon (and my hometown marathon, the Long Beach Marathon) run last weekend and with the New York Marathon just weeks away, it seems an appropriate time for another quote from the world of endurance running.

The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed.
--Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ



Make it a great week!

Post script:
Sorry for the delay in posting this. I've been out of town for the last few weeks. I promise to get another research-based post up very soon -- school is in session and I've had to get my classes off the ground. Thanks for understanding.

1 comments:

  1. Anonymous says

    Great quote! Certainly captured what runners need to be focused on. How about this one...very simply put...

    One foot in front of the other…was my enduring mantra as I trekked through the CO mountains on some of the most gorgeous and challenging singletrack trail you can imagine.

    [.this was after running 415 miles in just 7 days]

    Quoted here: http://blog.cheaptents.com/sam-thompson-pro-ultramarathon-endurance-runner/

    Awesome stuff!