Oh Say Can You See?

It seems that nearly everyone who has anything to do with the mental side of sports feels they have a patriotic duty to tell athletes to visualize. But really now, is there any proof that simply closing your eyes and thinking about winning does anything to improve your performance? Or is it just sport psychology's own version of "The Secret?"

Yes, visualization has it's benefits. A 2004 article in the Journal of Sport Sciences reported that imagery is used more frequently by elite athletes than by recreational and intermediate athletes. Better yet, it was easier for them to predict an athletes performance base on the athlete's use of psychological skills like imagery, than by using the athlete's physical qualities.

So should you stop reading this now and start visualizing? Not so quickly at least not according to an article out in the most recent issue of the Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. The article's authors looked at the use of visualization in 150 athletes of all abilities. They found that while visualization works, not all visualization works equally well. They found that visualization worked best when it was viewed as an integral and regular planned part of an athlete's training. In fact, the more accomplished athletes in the study used imagery more frequently and more deliberately, found it more relevant and put more concentration into it than recreational athletes. They used imagery to rehearse skills and to go over competitive strategies. They made imagery into what psychologists call a "deliberate practice." In other words, they worked at it.

Great. So here's one more thing I have to work at. As if the physical training I do isn't enough. Fortunately, not all imagery has to be work. The researchers of the study found that at times athletes can also effectively use imagery of the type they called "deliberate play." These are spontaneous images we have of ourselves achieving our dream-goals. You've probably had an image or two like this: you imagine yourself first across a finish-line, hitting a hole-in-one, wearing the Tour de France's yellow jersey. These images play an important role in our training by keeping us motivated. Deliberate play imagery is the type of imagery that most athletes find most enjoyable and fun. In fact, the researchers found that all athletes, regardless of their level of expertise use this type of visualization.

So should you incorporate visualization into your training schedule. Absolutely. But make sure its deliberate as well as playful. And keep this in mind: one of the study's final conclusions was that the reason why some athletes excel while others don't is because lower-level athletes do not wholly appreciate the advantages of imagery practice. You wouldn't want to be one of those athletes, would you?


Enough from me. I'd like to make this blog as interactive as possible so now it's your turn. What do you think? Has visualization helped you perform better? What type of visualizations have you found most effective?

As always, if you have questions or topics you'd like me to write about, let me know.





References:



Abbott, A., & Collins, D. (2004). Eliminating the dichotomy between theory and practice in talent identification and development: Considering the role of psychology. Journal of Sports Sciences, 22, 395-408.



Nordin, S. M., Cumming, J., Vincent, J., & McGrory, S. (2006). Mental practice or spontaneous play? Examining which types of imagery constitute deliberate practice in sport. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18, 345-362.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous says

    As a former Olympic athlete I really appreciate what Dr. Kain has to say. As a participant in the equestrian events, visualization was a vital part of my athletic preparation (if you don't think riding is athletic, you guide a 1200lb animal around a course of 6 ft high fences). I would visulaize the course, the way I would ride it, and visualize a successful ride. Now I am an amateur cyclist, I still use visualization to "see" success. Dr. Kain's advice is perfect! Thanks for such a great resource.


    Anonymous says

    As a college coach, I can tell you that I encourage my kids to use visualization consistantly. They won't achieve success if they can't see success.

    Bob Oncle


    Alex says

    I recently finished my college swimming career, and visualization has been an important part of my taper preparation before big meets. As a distance swimmer, it is usual for me to feel awful in the water during taper, often times up until the day of an event. This is mostly because my body is adjusting to the change in work load. Because I can't get a good physical feel for my race strategy during that phase, I walk myself through my races by visualizing. Without it I have a tendency to dive in on race day and go out too fast because I feel so much better than in my previous workouts. By visualizing that feeling, I can avoid being surprised.


    seaducer says

    I think that visualization is helpful, especially with complicated series of events like a swim stroke, or proper pedaling, but I get the feeling that some people put a little too much into it? I wonder what the results would show if you could stop an elite athlete from using this technique. And I think the main reason that elite athletes use it more than recreational athletes is because, well, the rest of us have a life and just can't spend all the time on sport the way a pro can.

    Comparing pros or high level amatuers trying to go pro to the weekend warrior is apples to oranges. IMO a better study would have been to find a few elites that don't visualize as much and see how they do.

    Drew


    Dr. Iron TriFeist :) says

    Hmmm...I'm going to try using visualization and let you know. My coach have given me a mantra to use every day that helped a lot, even though I miss a day or two. It was so helpful, I made one for my dissertation work. :)


    seaducer says

    Sorry, I posted before I finished my thought. I think that the time a pro level athlete spends training, the access to coaching they have, and their natural talents that they have then honed with years of practice hard work is what makes all the difference, and visualization hardly impacts at all. With or without it they would still kick butt, and I would still be sucking wind.


    seaducer says

    LOL, just one more thought. I see visualization pretty much the same way I look at superstitions. Yes, it does help when you are concentrating to learn something new, but beyond that I think it is just something to put you into a "winning" state of mind, like wearing the same socks, or tapping your bat on the same spot every time up. Or putting a penny in your bar tape for good luck... ;-)