Very Superstitious, Writing’s on the Wall

One of my goals in putting together the SportsMinded blog was to encourage an exchange of experiences and ideas between athletes. I appreciate the comments people have been posting and will do my best to, on occasion, reply to what you have written. So here goes…

In response to my post on visualization, Seaducer wrote:


And I think the main reason that elite athletes use it more than recreational athletes is because, well, the rest of us have a life and just can't spend all the time on sport the way a pro can.


Let me first acknowledge that Seaducer is a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the power of visualization. I believe his exact word are:

I see visualization pretty much the same way I look at superstitions…think it is just something to put you into a "winning" state of mind, like wearing the same socks, or tapping your bat on the same spot every time up. Or putting a penny in your bar tape for good luck.


It’s not that I disagree with him. I find the idea of wearing the same socks over and over again pretty ridiculous (and disgusting – don’t they get dirty?). And if I’m taping anything to the handlebars of my bike it’s certainly not going to be 1 cent. Gel maybe, but a penny? How helpful is a penny when you’re bonking and in desperate need of carbs?

But visualization the same as superstition…. Come on now. The American Heritage® Dictionary defines superstition as


An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.


There’s nothing irrational about visualization, it is related to a course of events and does influence its outcome. Here’s how.

Mental Imagery is a cognitive activity that mimics perceptual, motor and certain emotional experiences of the brain. Recent brain imaging studies suggest that certain brain structures (prefrontal areas, supplementary motor areas, and cerebellum for you brainiac types) show a pattern of neural activity during imagery that resembles the activity elicited by actual motor performance. Studies have shown that imagery is “functionally equivalent to physical practice” with respect to the neural pathways in the brain. In other words, as far as the brain is concerned, mental imagery and physical practice are definitely related. So much for superstition.


As for Seaducer’s notion that “the rest of us” can’t afford to spend time on visualization, I would suggest that we can’t afford not to.

Let’s take triathlon as an example. Most triathletes I know have very limited means of practicing their transitions – sure you can always do a brick workout. But let’s face it, it’s not the same. Go for a bike ride, return home, drop off the bike, get a drink of cold water, check your email, take a pee, put on running shoes, off you go. Not quite the same as race conditions. And when was the last time – short of your last race – that you actually tried to get out of your wetsuit as quickly as possible?

But with visualization, you can go through the whole routine step by step. And you can do it anytime and anywhere. So in a period of about a minute, you can practice T1 and T2 in a way that will prepare you for the actual thing. You can cognitively map-out what you are going to do on race day and you can do it perfectly (not quite so easy to do in real life). You can rehearse it again and again in the period of a minute or two. You can over-rehearse it to the point that you no longer have to think about it. And that’s just the point. We can use visualization – we see the transition in our mind’s eye – so that our behaviors become automatic and we don’t have to think about them. For triathlon, as with many other sports, thinking can really get in the way -- especially in the transition zone. You want your transitions to be smooth and fluid, and the key to this is to not think too much and above all to not panic.


In fact, in their book “Swim Bike Run” Hobson, Campbell and Vickers recommend using visualization not just as a means of mental practice prior to competition but also during a triathlon.


As you near the end of your swim, slightly increase your kick tempo … Also, visualize your bike location and mentally rehearse the first transition.


So there you have it. I’d tell any of the athletes that I work with to give visualization a try. So should you. Most likely it will work for you. Maybe not. But it doesn’t cost anything to try. And it’s easier than trying to find a place in your tri shorts for you lucky rabbit's foot.




Resources:

Hall, C.R. (2001) “Imagery in Sport and Behavior”, In R.N. Singer, H.A. Hausenblas and C.M. Janelle (eds), Handbook of Sport Psychology (2nd edition), New York: John Wiley.

Hobson, W., Campbell, C. & Vickers, M. (2001). “Swim, Bike, Run”, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

4 comments:

  1. seaducer says

    we may be discussing apples and oranges here. When you say visualization, I am remembering back to my basketball coach saying, "Visualise the ball falling through the hoop". I believe I mentioned in my comments in the other post that I agree that walking through a complicated step in your mind does help. If not I apologize, I meant to. But I also think that it is rather limited. If you have only an hour to swim, spend the whole time in the pool as opposed to 15 minutes of meditation on deck. I think that pro level athletes are practicing visualization techniques in addition to their normal practice, and I would argue that the practice is far greater, overwhelmingly greater than the vis.

    I am not a doctor though, so everyone should keep that in mind. For my money though, time doing is better than time thinking...Drew


    Comm's says

    I for one believe in visualization in all aspects of my life. It is not enough to visual a ball in a hoop or proper strokes on a long swim.

    Visualization does not have to be at or during the time for training. Its all done before that. It means putting your desires down on paper or voice recorder. It means getting up early to read and focus, sometime doing it several times a day. Affirmations are a great visualization technique.

    Training is training. If you have an hour for the pool use it all. BUT when your sitting on the couch for two hours at night or reading the paper in the morning realize that you can be using 15 minutes of that time to visual every aspect of your day and your future.


    Eric says

    I visualize my transitions several times before the race. I go through the motions and make sure I know where everything is. It has helped me remember an important item still in my backpack or made me reposition items on my towel.

    I use the time right before I fall asleep to visualize certain aspects of a race or training session.


    SixTwoThree says

    I think "the rest of us" use visualization all the time. We just don't think to put it into practice as often as we should in sport...and we may not even think of it as"visualization." I'm often up at night or sitting in traffic, thinking of all the things I have to get done the next day. I rehearse presentations. I think visualization is a really good idea...we just need to apply it to triathlon (or our golf game) more often rather than just our to-do lists.