Quote of the Week: Changing Your Mind

While most of the Olympic's swimming buzz has been centered on Michael Phelps, let's not forget that it was Jason Lezak's amazing anchor swim that gave the USA team it's win in the 400 freestyle relay Monday (and moved Phelps closer to breaking Mark Spitz's record). Just in case you're under the impression that Olympic athletes like Phelps and Lezak are always thinking positive, check this out. Here are Lezak's thoughts as he trailed half a body-length behind French swimmer Bernard who led the race:

When I flipped at the 50 I really thought, "There's no way." And then I changed and I said, "You know what, that is ridiculous. This is the Olympics and I'm here for the United States of America. I don't care how bad it hurts." In like five seconds I was thinking all these things. I just got a supercharge and took it from there.

-- Jason Lezak


Just goes to show how quickly great athletes can recover from negative thinking.

Make it a great week.

0 comments: